Hospitals are complex organisations with a number of departments and units coordinating with each other for patient care and all allied services. With the growth of IT as backbone for all the data processing, Hospital Information System (HIS) is gaining popularity and becoming an integral part of hospitals.
The increased adoption of Telehealth, hospital information system, electronic health records and web-based services has expanded digital patient data, demanding the deployment of robust IT infrastructure in Indian healthcare industry.
Considering the above facts Hospaccx team started working the mapping of market trends and dynamic. This is microficial study of HIS market if you want to get into more detail you can contact [email protected]
MARKET OVERVIEW OF HIS IN THE WORLD
- The United States is the largest market for Hospital Information Systems with approximately 31% contribution, the US is the leader in the global HIS market.
- The Asia-Pacific region (excluding Japan) represents the fastest growing HIS market, exhibiting a CAGR of 11.5% over the next few years.
- The market is experiencing an increase in acceptance of customized technology such as Laboratory Information Systems (LIS) and Radiology Information Systems (RIS). The market is also a promising ground for Electronic Medical Record (EMR) systems.
- A greater Internet penetration and a huge demand-supply gap in the HIS market will make way for more players and more competition in this arena. (Hospital Information System: In a Take-Off Stage, e-health,2015)
HISTORY OF HIS
1960s- The main healthcare drivers in this era were Medicare and Medicaid. The IT drivers were expensive mainframes and storage. The principal applications emerging in this environment were shared hospital accounting systems.
1970s- One of the main healthcare drivers in this era was the need to do a better job communicating between departments and the need for discrete departmental systems (e.g., clinical lab, pharmacy). Computers were small enough to be installed in a single department without environmental controls.
1980s- Healthcare drivers were heavily tied to DRGs (Diagnosis-Related Groups) and reimbursement. Personal computers, widespread, non-traditional software applications, and networking solutions entered the market. As a result, hospitals began integrating applications so financial and clinical systems could communicate to each other.
1990s- In this decade, competition and consolidation drove healthcare, along with the need to integrate hospitals, providers, and managed care. From an IT perspective, hospitals now had access to broad, distributed computing systems and robust networks. Therefore, integrated delivery network (IDN) were created – like integration, including the impetus to integrate data and reporting.
2000s- The main healthcare drivers were increased integration and the beginnings of outcomes-based reimbursement. Enough technology and bedside clinical applications had installed to make a serious run at commercial, real-time clinical decision support.
SUCCESSFUL HEALTH INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY PROJECTS IN INDIA
Centre for Development of Advanced Computing (CDAC), an autonomous government IT organization has developed the first HIS software in collaboration with Sanjay Gandhi Post Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Lucknow in 1997 which has been implemented at Sanjay Gandhi Postgraduate Institute of Medical Sciences (SGPGI) and Guru Teg Bahadur (GTB) hospital, New Delhi.
GRAMSAT (rural satellite) programme of Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) has been applying its space technology into healthcare.
Apollo’s Telemedicine Initiatives: Apollo has been set up Rural Telemedicine Centre in the village of Aragonda of Andhra Pradesh. The Mercury software for telemedicine was developed in collaboration with CDAC as part of Research and Development.
Tele-cardiology has been performing by Asia Heart Foundation and Escort Heart Institute & Research Center.
Shankar Nethralaya at Chennai and Meenakshi Eye mission at Madurai have launched Mobile Tele-ophthalmology service, with the support of ISRO.
Africa Medical and Research Foundation (AMREF) telemedicine project is improving its clinical outreach program with the help of telemedicine.
Sustainable Access in Rural India (SARI) program of Tamil Nadu state has provided wireless Internet connections to some 8000 people in more than 50 villages. This involved public, private, and academic collaboration and helped local service providers in operating local tele-center.
Aravind Eye Hospital provides online eye consultations. Operators are trained to take pictures of eyes and e-mail them to hospital doctors. Based on these images, doctors can make a preliminary diagnosis and recommend various courses of action.
GOVERNMENT INITIATIVES FOR HIS IN INDIA
e-Sushrut C-DAC’s (Centre for Development of Advanced Computing) Hospital Management Information System is a major step towards adapting technology to improve healthcare. HMIS incorporates an integrated computerized clinical information system for improved hospital administration and patient health care. It also provides an accurate, electronically stored medical record of the patient.
IT spending in the Indian government sector is projected to reach $8.5 billion in 2018, an 8.9% rise from the 2017 estimated spending of $7.8 billion.
Software spending is projected to grow by 15.6% in 2017, and will grow another 15.1% in 2018, to reach $1.2 billion
IT services spending is on pace to grow by 15.3% in 2017, to total $2 billion in 2017, and a 13.8% rise in 2018 to reach $2.3 billion.
Spending on devices, which includes printers, copiers, mobile devices, PCs and tablets, is estimated increase by another 9.4% to reach $1.1 billion in 2018. (Indian govt IT spending to rise 9% in 2018: Gartner, The Hindu Business Line, 2015)
GLOBAL MARKET OF HIS
- The global healthcare information systems market is witnessing growth with the increase in the adoption of health and fitness based mobile applications.(Healthcare Information Systems Market to see 8.43% CAGR to 2019)
- The global healthcare information system market was valued at approximately USD 41.20 billion in 2016 and is expected to reach approximately USD 60.00 billion by 2022, growing at a CAGR of around 7.0% between 2017 and 2022.
- Cloud-based technology and web-based technology are key delivery modes in the market. Cloud-based technology dominated the healthcare information system market.
- More than 80% healthcare organizations are using cloud services.
- Laboratory information system is another key outlet of this market and is expected to witness significant growth in the years to come.(Global Healthcare Information System Market will reach USD 60.00 Billion by 2021: Zion Market Research)
HIS MARKET IN INDIA
- The Indian healthcare IT market is valued at $1billion (about Rs 6,650 crore) and is likely to grow about 1.5 times by 2020.
- The healthcare software segment generated revenues of $96.8 million in 2014 and is likely to grow at a compounded annual growth rate (CAGR) of 11% over the next five years.
- In India, healthcare software is a small part of the total healthcare IT segment, comprising only about 9%.(Indian healthcare IT now a $1 billion market – says Nasscom, The Economic Times)
- Social media is growing bigger every day in India, with the average individual spending 25% of his or her time on social networking sites and Google.
- The overall health care wearable market in India is currently valued at 6 million USD.(Digital health market in India over the next ten years, Dr. Hempel Digital Health Network, 2017)
- The annual expenditure expected for hardware spending in India is 38.7 billion U.S. dollars by 2019. (Forecasted IT hardware spending in India from 2012 to 2019 in USD)
HIS MARKET CHALLENGES IN INDIA
- Lack of skilled IT technicians.
- Lack of awareness and acceptance of HIS among Medical Professionals.
- High Maintenance and service Cost of HIS.
HIS MARKET DRIVERS IN INDIA
- Booming Healthcare Industry opens scope for HIS.
- HIS makes convenient recording and maintaining of medical cases.
LIST OF HOSPITAL MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE IN INDIA
1. SoftClinic (JVS Groups – Founded in 2002)
SoftClinic is world best EHR & HMS (Hospital Management System) with all required features to run a practice or hospital smoothly and hassle free. SoftClinic has become preferred choice for respective physicians, clinics, hospital and nursing homes. Having various integrated modules like pharmacy, laboratory, human resources and financial accounting, it has everything a physician needs.
2. Insta HMS (Insta Health Solution – Founded in 2008)
Insta Health Solutions is a Healthcare IT Solutions Company has a flag-ship product Insta HMS which is used by over 300 healthcare provider organizations across 7 countries. Insta HMS is a cloud/web-based application which covers all financial, clinical and operational requirements of a hospital/clinic.
3. Uniwide HIMS (Uniwide Consultancy & Services – Founded in 2009)
Web based solution for hospital management. Features include inventory, CRM, and facility management Accounts and Payroll module along with the fully customized pharmacy and laboratory module. Package help the hospital administrators, doctors and other staff to keep track of the activities performed in the various departments of the hospital/clinic and takes care of all functional aspects of all types of healthcare organization.
4. Medstar HIS (Pinaacle Technologies – 2010)
Advanced and comprehensive management system which can integrate all of your hospital organization needs.
5. ProMed (ProEmTech Infosystems – Founded in 2011)
ProMed is suitable for Multi-Specialty Hospitals, Clinics and Laboratories. ProMed is specifically engineered to suits any type of Hospitals. Pre-integrated with our Healthcare IoT products PresenZ (Attendance Logging), Nurses Call, BCM ProMed Application Suite consists of for applications – ProMed, DoctAssist, MIRepo, LabNetX, ProMedLite and ProAppS.
6. Hospital Management Software (Tirupati International – Founded in 2013)
INTEGRATED HMS SOFTWARE Streamlines and integrates the operations, processes and information flow in hospitals. Hospital FEATURE:-
MULTI USER & USER-FRIENDLY
ONLINE & OFFLINE.
CRYSTAL CLEAR MANAGEMENT INFORMATIONAL
7. HIMS (Akshar Technosoft – Founded in 2013)
Software is a complete hospital suite serving all functional areas of the hospital. It can take care of much complex OPD operation; it covers complete cycle from Application, Appointment, User Registration, Patient Registration, Patient History, Patient Case File, and Doctor along with Prescription writing.
8. Caresoft Hospital Information System (Caresoft Consultancy – Founded in 2007)
Web-based application that covers all financial, clinical and operational requirements of a hospital/clinic.
9. PwaveHosp (Pwave Tech – Founded in 2016)
It is an easy to use, flexible and robust cloud based hospital management software which can work wonders in enhancing operational efficiency of your hospital. The software is designed to work effortlessly for multispecialty hospital and you can choose whether you want to operate it on cloud, partial cloud or totally offline.
10. eHAT (OrcaSys – Founded in 2011)
OrcaSys provides an end to end solution to hospitals and clinics to enhance medical, economic and operational results. eHAT range of products comprises of a platform that pulls together patient demographics, medical & clinical records, imaging & PACS, insurance & claims data, management information intelligence etc.
LIST OF HARDWARE COMPANIES IN INDIA
1. Acer India Pvt Ltd
2. Dell India Pvt Ltd
3. HCL Infosystems Ltd
4. Hewlett-Packard India Sales Pvt Ltd
5. Intel Technology India Pvt Ltd.
6. Intex Technologies India Ltd
7. Lenovo India Pvt Ltd
8. Redington India Ltd
9. Ricoh India Pvt Ltd
10. Ingram Micro India Pvt Ltd
- HIS play a significant role in providing quality healthcare services and reduce cost.
- There are many barriers to implement the HIS such as; rejection new technology by users, lack of involvement and participation, integration with healthcare workflow, and non-trained users.
- HIS awareness needs to be created in order to increase the acceptance among the users and to increase the number of IT professionals
- Government’s raise in healthcare IT spending helps in digitising the healthcare of the country and also increases the scope for HIS.
Are you planning to build or restructure or venture in Hospital Information System (HIS) in India? Looking for information about the major healthcare players in Government, Private diagnostic centres that are available in India? Are you looking to find out which part of the city’s is best to venture in or what all facilities are available and what all should be planned for new setup? In this article Hospaccx Healthcare Consultancy has mapped all on major players in terms of HIS facilities and healthcare scenario in India.
Below is the superficial and macro level survey if you need a refined market and financial feasibility or any other study related to healthcare is required you can contact Hospaccx Healthcare business consulting Pvt. ltd on [email protected] or [email protected] Or you can visit our website on www.hhbc.in