Accreditation is a public recognition of the achievement of accreditation standards by a healthcare organization, demonstrated through an independent external peer assessment of that organization’s level of performance in relation to the standards.
Considering the above facts, Hospaccx team participates in ‘Accreditation of Healthcare Organization. This is macroficial study of ‘Accreditation of Healthcare Organization’ if you want to get into more detail you can contact [email protected]
Establishment of NABH System
NABH accreditation system was established in 2006 as a constituent of Quality Council of India (QCI). The first edition of standards was released in 2006 and after that the standards has been revised every 3 years. Currently the 4th edition of NABH standards is in use. The NABH standards 4th edition standards are documented as follows:
- Access, Assessment and Continuity of Care
- Care of Patients (COP)
- Management of Medication (MOM)
- Patient Rights and Education (PRE)
- Hospital Infection Control (HIC)
- Continual Quality Improvement (CQI)
- Responsibilities of Management (ROM)
- Facility Management and Safety (FMS)
- Human Resource Management (HRM)
- Information Management System (IMS)
The first hospital to be accredited by NABH is ‘Malabar Institute of Medical Sciences (MIMS), Kerala’ which is a 650-bed multispeciality hospital and was accredited in 2007 and till date more than 350 hospitals in India has achieved accreditation by NABH. In public hospitals, Gandhinagar General hospital was the first to get NABH accreditation in 2009.
Role of NABH in preparing organizations for accreditation
NABH provides information on documents and procedures. NABH also organizes awareness programs in general as well as on request of individual organizations. It also guides the applicant organization on different requirements at various stages of accreditation.
Duties of NABH accredited hospitals are as follows:
- Commitment to create a culture of quality, patient safety, efficiency and accountability towards patient care.
- Establishment of protocols and policies as per National/International Standards for patient care, medication management, consent process, patient safety, clinical outcomes, medical records, infection control and staffing.
- Patients are treated by qualified and trained staff.
- Feedback from patients is sought and complaints (if any) are addressed.
- Transparency in billing and availability of tariff list.
- Continuous monitoring of its services for improvement.
Is NABH accreditation a one-time phenomenon ?
NABH accreditation is not a one-time phenomenon. Once the organization gets accredited, accreditation shall be valid for a defined period. NABH conducts a regular surveillance of the accredited organization. The surveillance visit will be planned during the 2nd year.
Merits of Accreditation of Healthcare Institution
- Accreditation benefits all stake holders. Patients are the biggest beneficiary. Accreditation results in high quality of care and patient safety. The patients get services by credential medical staff. Rights of patients are respected and protected. Patient satisfaction is regularly evaluated.
- The staff in a accredited health care organization are satisfied lot as it provides for continuous learning, good working environment, leadership and above all ownership of clinical processes.
- Accreditation to a health care organization stimulates continuous improvement. It enables the organisation in demonstrating commitment to quality care. It raises community confidence in the services provided by the health care organisation. It also provides opportunity to healthcare unit to benchmark with the best.
- Accreditation provides an objective system of empanelment by insurance and other third parties. Accreditation provides access to reliable and certified information on facilities, infrastructure and level of care.
What are the programs being offered by NABH?
NABH offers accreditation programs for Hospitals, Small Health Care Organizations/Nursing Homes, Blood Banks and Transfusion Services, Oral Substitution Therapy (OST) Centres and Primary and Secondary Health Centres. A couple of more programs such as Medical Imaging services, Dental Hospitals/Centres, AYUSH Hospitals are also provided.
To conclude, NABH accreditation helps the healthcare organization in providing high quality treatment to patients. It helps healthcare organization in maintaining reputation as well.
We are glad to inform you that at Hospaccx, we assist you in the above mentioned arena of hospital in following ways
- Gap assessment and analysis based on various accredititation.
- Developing and reviewing the hospital plan for Accreditation.
- Development of Documents.
- Development of Record Keeping Programme.
- Organization of Training programmes.
- Development of Performance indicators.
If you wish to know more or would like to avail the above services kindly contact Hospaccx Healthcare business consulting Pvt. ltd on [email protected] or [email protected] or you can visit our website on www.hhbc.in